How Much Does Direct Mail Marketing Cost?
Direct mail marketing has long been one of the most popular and effective ways to deliver a message to potential customers. Direct mail is an affordable way to promote a sale, send coupons, promote new products, target new customers or simply spread a message.
There are many different types of direct mail, also known as bulk mailing. There are post cards, fliers, letters, greeting cards, brochures and pamphlets. Send your mailing to targeted groups of people, such as new moms or men between the ages of 21 and 35, or send the mailings to every home in a certain geographic area.
Get Free Direct Mail Marketing Quotes
About Direct Mail Marketing
A good direct mail marketing company will work with you to conceptualize and design your mailer. The first step is putting together an audience - who would you like to reach? Identify groups of people or regions that are top priority. Next, decide what you want the mailer to say. Should you offer coupons? Advertise a sale? Promote a special event?
Here are three important attributes of any successful mailer:
- It needs to be eye-catching. If most people toss it into the trash, your money is wasted. There are many techniques to catch a potential customer’s eye, including personalized greetings using the customer’s name, bright colors, coupons and even scratch-off games.
- The piece should identify a need on behalf of the customer or recipient - perhaps a need the person hadn’t previously identified. It might be a need for a new car, dinner out at a new restaurant, a wardrobe update - the list goes on and on.
- Finally, the piece needs to be accurate and fair. It should accurately reflect what your selling and the discounts you’re offering. You might get customers in the door with dishonest or misleading mailers, but they certainly won’t be return customers.
Cost of Direct Mail Marketing
Direct mail marketing companies typically charge by the piece, with prices ranging from about $0.30-$2.50 per mailing. The price depends on the type of mailing you select, color choices, postage options, the number of recipients and the type of list you select.
Specifically, full-color mailers are more expensive than black and white. First-class postage will cost your more than bulk mailing. And a targeted list (i.e. all new moms in a certain area) will be more expensive than a basic list of everyone in a certain geographical area.
- Letters range in price from about $0.50-$0.80. Those with tear-off portions and reply envelopes fall on the high end of that range.
- Postcards typically cost $0.30-$0.80, with double-sided and full-color types falling on the high end.