Compare Shower vs Bathtub Costs
Showering is part of our daily routine. Some of us shower even two or three times each day. But most of us don’t spend time thinking about the kind of shower we use until it is time to replace or remodel.
Try Our Free Shower or Bathtub Installation Quote Request Tool
Tell us some details about your needs and get connected to pre-screened companies in your area. Compare free price quotes from multiple companies and save time and money instantly! No obligations to hire or purchase ever!
There are two basic types of showers: pre-fabricated varieties that are manufactured in a factory and installed in one piece, and custom showers that are built on site. There are big differences in price and quality between the two.
How Much Does a Shower Cost?
Shower replacement projects can cost anywhere from $1,500 to $10,000 or more. The price depends on the type of shower you buy and the difficulty of installation.
- Budget about $2,000 to $3,000 to replace an existing shower with a pre-fabricated model.
- Custom jobs that involve replacing the shower, tiling the wall and replacing the the glass door usually cost $4,000 to $5,000.
- Expansions, major upgrades and any project that involves moving the shower to a different location in the bathroom can cost as much as $5,000 to $10,000. Budget in this price range if you’re planning to add features such as a shower seat, extra shower heads or a steam shower.
- Practical - Most people who have tubs don’t use them very often. Taking a shower is faster and more practical for day-to-day use.
- Great for tight spaces - For small bathrooms, the shower-only approach is ideal. Most showers take up far less space than bathtubs. Even deluxe showers take up about the same amount of space as a traditional bathtub.
- Eco-friendly - Showers use less water, so they’re much better for the environment. Your energy bills will be lower, too.
There are few things as relaxing as soaking in a hot bath. Taking a bath is a great way to unwind from the day and relieve stress.
Bathtubs come in a variety of types, shapes and sizes. There are standard tubes, antique-style clawfoot tubs, deeper soaking tubs and whirlpool tubs - to name just a few.
Bathtub replacement projects also tend to cost anywhere from $1,500 to $10,000 or more. The tub itself could cost as little as $200 or as much as $3,000, depending on size and quality. Then you have to factor in the cost of installation.
- Budget about $2,000 to $3,000 to replace an existing bathtub with a pre-fabricated model.
- Custom jobs that involve replacing the tub and tiling usually cost $4,000 to $5,000.
- Budget $5,000 to $10,000 if you’re upgrading to a much larger tub or moving the tub to a different location in the bathroom.
- Relaxation - Even if you don’t use the tub very often, it’s a nice to have the option of a long, relaxing bath when you’re tired or stressed.
- Better for families - Have you ever tried bathing a small child in a shower? It’s not easy. A bathtub is crucial for families with young children.
- Resale - Having at least one bathtub in the home is important when it comes time to sell your home. Families with young children might not even look at your home if it doesn’t have a bathtub.